Volume 3, Issue 1 (4-2013)                   MEJDS (2013) 3: 37 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Ghanbari S. Comparison of Visual Perception between Trainable Mentally Retarded Children with Down Syndrome & Normal Children (6‒8 Mental Age). MEJDS. 2013; 3 (1) :37-43
URL: http://jdisabilstud.ir/article-1-343-en.html
دانشگاه علوم پزشکی جندی شاپور اهواز, مرکز تحقیقات عضلانی اسکلتی
Abstract:   (10398 Views)
Objectives: Children pass through sensorimotor, perceptual and cognitive stages during their development. Successful accomplishments in the primary stages lead to optimum achievements in higher cognitive stages. In fact, 70% of sensory receptors are allocated to vision, thus leaving 30% to other senses, indicating how critical this sense is. Vision is a sense that allows a person to understand what is occurring outside the body or in the extra-personal space. Therefore, in the second stage of development (Perceptual stage), children should have an optimum visual perception potential. This enables children to deal with ‘activities of daily living’ and manage educational and vocational tasks. 
Methods: This was an analytical comparative study. The visual perceptual abilities of 30 trainable mentally retarded children with Down syndrome were compared with those of 30 normal children of the same Mental Age. All subjects were administered the ‘Frostig Developmental Test of Visual Perception’. Results were tested with (t‒Student) by SPSS‒16. 
Results: ‘Eye hand coordination’ (p=0.2735), ‘figure ground discrimination’ (p=0.106) and ‘form constancy’ (p=0.062) did not significantly differ in children with Down syndrome. However, they were weaker than normal subjects in terms of ‘position in space’ (p=0.0425) and ‘spatial relations’ (p=0.042). 
Conclusions: Our results indicate that children with Down syndrome differ in certain subsets of visual perceptual abilities in comparison to normal children of the same mental age.
Full-Text [PDF 990 kb]   (2194 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original Research Article | Subject: Rehabilitation
Received: 2014/07/30 | Accepted: 2014/07/30

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:
CAPTCHA code

Send email to the article author


© 2019 All Rights Reserved | Middle Eastern Journal of Disability Studies

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb